Web Design by Media Fizz DIGITAL  Tel:01482 421038  Copyright 2012  All Rights Reserved
for Carers

0300 123 1053
Young Carers
Young Carers' Rights
Everybody has certain rights and responsibilities. If caring is affecting your health, your feelings or your school work, you should ask for help from your doctor or your local authority.
About Young Carers
This section helps you find out if you are a young carer. It looks at the different things young carers have to do, and where you can get help with them.

Who Can help?
This section helps you find out if you are a young carer. It looks at the different things young carers have to do, and where you can get help with them.

CARERS DIRECT 0300 123 053
for information on local services
Are you a young carer?

A young carer is someone aged 18 or under who helps look after a relative with a disability such as a disability, illness, mental health condition, or a drug or alcohol problem.

The majority of young carers look after their parents They do jobs in and around the home, such as cooking, cleaning, or helping someone to get dressed and move around.

Young carers may need to help a relative deal with their feelings by talking to them, listening and trying to understand their problems.

The difference between young carers and other young people who help in the home is that young carers are often responsible for someone else in their family in a way that most other young people aren't.

Some children give a lot of physical help to a brother or sister who is disabled or ill. If you do, you are a sibling carer (sibling is a word for brother or sister). Along with physical help for your sibling, you may also be giving emotional support to both your sibling and your parents.

A young carer might also care for a grandparent or someone else from their extended family.

Watch the video (left) to find out how other young carers cope with school.

Young carers are children and young people (up to the age of 18) whose lives are being affected by looking after someone with a disability or a long term illness. The person they care for may be a parent, a sibling, another family member or a friend, who does not necessarily live in the same house as them. ďDisabilityĒ refers to actual or perceived physical, sensory, emotional or learning impairment, long-term illness, HIV, drug or alcohol dependence, mental health problems, frailty or old age.
Hull City Council - Help & Support
Two young carers talk about splitting their time between going to school and caring for their parents, and the support they've had from young carers projects.

Support for carers
If you are a carer, find out about the various ways we can support you. You are a carer if you are spending a regular amount of time looking after or supporting a relative, partner or friend who is unable to live independently and who cannot manage without your help.

Request a carerís assessment  - RING 01482 300300
If you are a carer, a carerís assessment is often the first step to getting the help and support you need. We recognise and value the work you do. Our aim is to work with you to offer practical help in caring. We can offer this if the person you look after has a high enough level of need. 

Financial support for carers
Carerís allowance is a taxable benefit for people aged 16 or over who spend at least 35 hours a week caring for someone. The person they care for must be receiving disability living allowance at the middle or highest rate of the care component, or attendance allowance. If you are a carer, sometimes a little bit of extra money can make a big difference. Thatís where direct payments for carers come in. They are payments we can make to people who provide a substantial amount of care to a partner, family member or friend.

Getting a break (respite care)
Caring for someone who needs a lot of attention can be very tiring. If you or the person you are a carer for need a break, a short respite care break may be helpful.
Rights & Services
In line with government guidance we are putting together a carersí register.

It may be that you are either cared for or are a carer - young middle-aged or older. Whatever the case we would like to ensure you are aware of your rights and those services which are available to you.  Please ask at reception for a leaflet and form to complete.

Call the Carers Direct helpline on 0300 123 1053 if you need help with your caring role and want to talk to someone about what options are available to you.

If you are busy at certain times of day, you can send us a message to ask us to call you back for free at a time that is convenient to you.

These services are available for people living in or caring for someone in England.
Call 0300 123 1053
New to Carers Direct?
Carers Direct is the official website designed to help you get the help and support you need as a carer.

We offer all the information you should need to get the financial help youíre entitled to, as well as advice on getting a break from caring, going to work and much more.